Anklets and wrist band


                                      The Origins of Anklets and Their Meanings

The latest runway shows brought forth a series of anklet designs and a couple of versions on how to style them best. Chloe came up with tiny golden anklets matched with beach-ready iridescent flip-flops, while Marc Jacobs was an active proponent of elegant two-layered anklets to be paired with timelessly classic black pumps.
But these are not the only anklet types happening in the fashion world. Anklets can be of different designs, made out of various materials (gold, silver, leather, plastic, nylon, beads, and shells) and in a focal point of mixing and matching procedures.
This may build a misleading guess that anklets are just go-go pieces, without any history behind them and without any symbolism hidden within them. Anklets do have history worth exploring and delving into.
While the Western culture could enjoy anklets only starting from the 20th century, the history of anklets in the Eastern culture traces back to the archaic times. The first samples of ankle chains were discovered while excavating Sumerian tombs and if you have a good command of history, you are sure to know that Sumerians were considered to be the “cradle of civilization” living in the southernmost region of Mesopotamia over 4500 years ago.
The archeological digs could explore and identify a series of ankle bracelets made out of different metals and stones whether precious or common.
In Ancient Egypt bracelets worn around the female ankles could tell a lot about her fortune and social status. A woman wearing a golden or silver bracelet decorated with precious stones on her ankle was obviously stating about her being a wife of a wealthy man, while the slaves or plebeians were usually wearing leather or metallic anklets or else anklets out of shells and in most cases they served as just amulets and talismans.
But it was in Ancient India that anklets were in broader circulation than in any other region. They might indicate the marital status of a woman or might be just an ornament. The flexible ankle chains called paayal were widely spread in India among dancers.
The metallic chains could be complemented with some sonorous trinkets or charms to jingle and tinkle gently while dancing. Such anklets are extensively in use even now and mostly among Arabian belly dancers.
Right or Left? Which Ankle to Wear Bracelet on?
Much as the wedding ring is usually worn on the left ring finger that way expressing its owner’s marital status, the anklets were also once gifted to the bride by the groom as a symbol of love and the wish to become her official husband. The women wearing anklets on their right ankles were being referred as call girls.
However, in Christianity it is the left side that is considered to be the symbol of Devil and everything connected with evil forces in general. There is also another version that the bracelet worn on the right ankle is telling about its wearer’s being of non-traditional sexual orientation.
 

Leg or Ankle Chain (slave, prostitute or witch)

I no just know wetin dey worry our naija babes self! The way they are behaving is becoming something else; and if not looked into – hmmmm…… I rest my case. The issue is that of copy and paste, but pasting the wrong way is my concern. And Naija babes like to do things when is now EVIL.

What prompted this write up was this young teenage girl I saw chain on her right leg, very young, no, a very small girl who just entered university of Lagos. I looked at her closely and saw nothing. She was still looking innocence and properly was still a virgin. She looks like a rich man’s daughter, clean, fresh and fine looking. I just concluded that she was ignorant of what she was wearing or she was a witch – abeg pardon me, na wetin dey my mind be dat oo.

So I began interviewing some friendly looking girls to really know why they are wearing that ankle chain in the name of fashion or something else wey I no know. The first person I met told me is for FASHION. I met another and said, “abeg, my girlfriend wants me to buy that leg chain for her, but I said no because I don’t know the meaning. Can you please tell me why you are wearing that? Let me know if I can change my mind and buy for her” “is nothing, I just like wearing it for fun” she answered, “really!” “What if I say that chain is telling people that you are a prostitute or a slave or properly you are a witch, what will you say? She kept quiet. The third person I spoke with said is for fashion also, I just left without saying anything. Because if had said something, any God will tell the outcome.

Since offline could not give me what I want to hear, I went online and got exactly what is in my mind on https://www.elitereaders.com/shocking-symbolism-anklets-secret-meaning-hot-wife/ click or copy and paste the link on your browser to read it for yourself. There are many sites to read from when you Google “history of ankle chain”. I no won copy and paste make e no be like say, this guy too dey TALK.  It was good for women to wear it in those days as a sign of royalty, fame, traditions and symbols best known to them. Later it was fashioned by the western world and now the devil has hacked it – lol! There was a part that talked about married woman whose symbols of wearing it was that, “I am married but I can still flex with other men”. That reflected exactly the Nigeria women especially the Yoruba women. Make una vex say na only Yoruba ladies I dey talk about. That na because is common among them, we dey see them, we dey watch them, we dey hear about them, we dey……….

I can’t really tell where this ankle wearing thing started from if is from Egypt or India as the sites I read from sighted Ancient Egypt and India. Wearing the ankle chain in the then ancient Egypt was a symbol of royalty or woman of class, but it was later banned, why? That is what you should find out yourself. That of the Indians was part of their tradition and culture for some parts of India. But what is the meaning of that in Nigeria? Kindly comment if you know abeg – thank you.

At Maryland one day, while waiting for bus something almost happened but the guy respected himself and left her alone. This lady was standing looking sexy by the virtue of her dress and the ankle chain was there properly waiting for bus as well or so. This guy walked up to her and asked, “how much per night?” “na your mama you go ask how much per night!” she got provoked and wanted to continue when guy jeje leave her alone. Even me think say na olosho she be. But i won’t blame the guy, it is said that “the way you dress is how you are address”

A friend of mine told me this story of what happened in a Virgil she attended one day, this one no be dem say ooo, she was there live and direct. When the priest was preaching, he stopped and observed some silence. Then he said that a lady is in this church wearing chain in her left leg, “if you are the one, come out” he ordered and waited but nobody came out. He said that again still no respond. After a while a girl came out with the chain on her left leg. “Why did you come out at first?” he asked “I was sleeping” she answered, “do you know what you are wearing on that leg?” she kept quiet. He wanted to pray for but asked to go and seat. The members in the church began pleading on her behalf and he prayed and delivered her. He went further to say ladies put on stuff without knowing what they are wearing, he saw snake on her leg, but all including her were seeing ankle chain – indirectly, she was a witch or was initiated through that chain all in the name of fashion.

With the little I have said, I hope I was able to convince you that ankle or leg chain is no more seen the way it used to. It mustn’t be chain; some are beads, cowries, rope or other matters.

Lesson No 1. Use your tough to count your teeth.
If you fall into the category of slave, prostitute or witch – carry dey GO. But if not – use your tough to count your teeth, SIMPLE.
If it pains, mummys please talk to your daughters. And daughters and ladies make una copy the right and good things. If wearing that is not symbolizing anything, abeg STOP AM, e no make sense at all.

Popular Posts